STORAGE, THROUGHPUT & TRANSPORTATION
Liquid and gaseous energy, as well as bulk commodities, need to be stored and transported to where they are needed.
We have extensive experience in assisting clients structure their storage, throughput, and transportation requirements, and crafting and finalizing the appropriate contracts recording the agreed arrangements, across a wide variety of commodities, including:
Bulk Agricultural Products
Frozen Food Products
Our experience in the transportation of these goods covers the full spectrum of the sector - pipelines, road, rail, and sea.
Our specific past experience includes:
- Regularly advising the South African operation of an international oil company on commercial and regulatory aspects and issues storage and reticulation of its liquid fuels and other petroleum products.
- Advising and representing the South African entities of a consortium of international oil majors in the negotiation and finalization of the requisite agreements with the Airports Company of South Africa for the storage and reticulation of aviation fuel at O R Tambo International Airport, including the lease and use of the ACSA-owned fuel delivery- and apron hydrant systems.
- Advising an international trader in LPG as to storage and throughput of its LPG to be imported into South Africa, and formulating and negotiating the requisite storage and throughput arrangements.
- Consulting to the South African national transport authority regarding proposed development of LNG import infrastructure at South African ports, and formulating first templates of the proposed Port Concession Agreement, Terminal User Agreement, and Terminal User Rules proposed to regulate the discharge, storage, regasification, and transportation of gas through such facilities.
- Advising an energy company regarding the storage and reticulation of heat and syngas to be produced from its proposed embedded biowaste-to-energy pyrolysis plant, and formulating, negotiating, and concluding the requisite contract terms in these respects.
- Advising the South African national oil company in connection with the transportation of crude oil from the Oribi and Oryx fields offshore the South African south-east coast, and representing its interests in the negotiation and conclusion of the long term charterparty of the required shuttle tanker.
- Advising the South African operation of a global shipping company in connection with its long term contracts of affreightment for the carriage of iron ore.
- Advising a wide range product owners, shippers, carriers, and receivers in connection with the contracts of carriage for a variety of agricultural products (grain, timber, cashew nut, fresh fruit, etc.)
- Advising a cold store operator on its standard terms and conditions of storage following a catastrophic fire at its major cold store facility at a South African port.